Need some good reading material? Here’s a quick recap of the top IP news stories and hot topics in IP we loved diving into the past month!
- “AI software is patentable, and applicants are seeking protection at a remarkable rate. In 2000, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) had received about 10,000 applications directed to artificial intelligence, and by 2020, that number reached about 80,000 applications, of which 77% were approved.” – 5 key IP considerations for AI startups, TechCrunch
- “Resale creates authentication challenges for both resellers and brands and their intellectual property counsel. While trademark owners typically cannot control the resale of their authentic and unaltered products, their failure to enforce against counterfeits could result in dilution or loss of trademark rights.” – How Fashion Brands Can Protect Their IP in the Recommerce Market, Bloomberg Law
- “You know all those famous Andy Warhol silk screen prints of Marilyn Monroe and Liz Taylor and lots of other glitterati? Now one of the most famous of these, the Prince series, is at the heart of a case the Supreme Court will examine on Wednesday. And it is a case of enormous importance to all manner of artists.” – The Supreme Court meets Andy Warhol, Prince and a case that could threaten creativity, NPR
- “Intellectual property is a tool for business owners to fight to get paid. The four types of intellectual property are copyrights, trademarks, patents and trade secrets. When it comes to IP, the biggest question for you to keep in mind is: What’s my goal?” – Fighting to Get Paid: An Intellectual Property Strategy, Inc.
- “Skechers U.S.A. Inc sued French luxury fashion house Hermès International in Manhattan federal court on Tuesday, alleging two brands of Hermès sneakers infringe a pair of Skechers design patents. ” – Skechers sues Hermès for patent infringement over shoe soles, Reuters
The Michelson Institute for Intellectual Property, an initiative of the Michelson 20MM Foundation, provides access to empowering IP education for budding inventors and entrepreneurs. Michelson 20MM was founded thanks to the generous support of renowned spinal surgeon Dr. Gary K. Michelson and Alya Michelson. To learn more, visit 20mm.org.