A Word from our Founder"All of the great companies today like Facebook, Amazon, and Uber were founded with intangible assets. If you’re building a business around an idea, you need to educate yourself about the intellectual property system because that’s how you capture value." - Dr. Gary K. Michelson
Lessons in IP Strategy 101
Intellectual property is not just the domain of a hired lawyer, but rather it is an integral part of the strategy behind launching any new business venture. Patents, copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets — all of these aspects of IP are embedded into the overall brand value of a business and/or product.
The knowledge you gain from each of these business cases will ensure that you cover all four verticals of IP including patents, copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets:
- Navigating Patents and Public Disclosure: The Sleep Styler
- Handling Online Counterfeiting and Infringement: Sprout World
- Trademark Rights and Employment Agreements: Hayley Paige
- Copyright Infringement on YouTube: Michelle Phan
- Benefits of Early Federal Trademark Registration: Z-Burger
- Product Licensing Using Only a Provisional Patent Application: Glide Mat Inventor Michelle Morrison
- Lessons in Trade Secret Theft: Anthony Levandowski and Waymo v. Uber
A Billion Dollar IP Success Story: Spanx
They will each contain additional resources, terms to learn, critical thinking questions and fictional scenarios to challenge the reader even further. Think of them as easy-to-read motivational stories with thought provoking exercises throughout that anyone from advanced high school level and onward can take and learn from.
Reviewed & Edited by Experts
Each case has also received expert editorial guidance from professionals like Orozco below with years of experience in the field and a wealth of knowledge to share.
This new series of free IP educational content provided by the Michelson Institute for IP and the Michelson 20MM Foundation are excellent. I am proud and happy to collaborate on this important mission to educate others about the fundamental importance of IP in our economy.
– David Orozco, J.D., a Bank of America Professor at Florida State University & Editor-in-Chief at American Business Law Journal
Presented by the Michelson 20MM Foundation
This project is published by the Michelson 20MM Foundation and made possible by the generous support of Gary and Alya Michelson.
Intellectual Property Owners Education Foundation
Mark E. Michels
Bank of America Professor of Business Administration, Florida State University & Editor-in-Chief, American Business Law Journal
Counsel, HP Inc. & Vice President, Intellectual Property Owners Education Foundation
Director, Waldron Center of Entrepreneurship and Family Business, Harding University & Board Member, Intellectual Property Owners Education