Need some good reading material? Here’s a quick recap of the top IP-related stories we loved diving into this month!
- “Last month, news broke that Bob Dylan sold his songwriting catalog to Universal’s publishing arm in a deal reportedly worth more than $300 million […] the move was merely the most illustrious in an ongoing frenzy of music copyright acquisitions” – What to Know About Music’s Copyright Gold Rush, Pitchfork
- “To patent a humble staple like panela struck Colombians as absurd, like patenting café con leche. News of the “panela patent” caused such an uproar in recent months that Riopaila Castilla, a sugar company based in Cali that until recently listed Mr. González on its board of directors, issued statements distancing itself from his efforts.” – Colombians Ask: Who Would Dare Patent Panela?, The New York Times
- “…on average, universities capture 16% of the value they help create through licensing revenues or equity stakes in the startups their research spawns.” – Should Universities Try to Capture More Value from Their Research?, [email protected]
- “How can I help my patent attorney or agent write my patent applications in such a way that they survive any challenger? Can I help my patent attorney prosecute my patents so that they fend off would-be challengers? That’s what I mean by “bulletproof.” – How To Create A Bulletproof Patent, Forbes
- “The severity of the coronavirus crisis has led many to argue that products for the prevention and treatment of Covid-19 should be global public goods. This “compulsory licensing” approach has gained many followers and has been supported by countries such as South Africa and India…” – Countries worldwide look to acquire the intellectual property rights of Covid-19 vaccine makers, CNBC
Final tidbits: The Intellectual Property Owners Education Foundation Awards hosted a Conversation About Diversity and Inclusion with Dr. Lisa Cook; Microsoft Files Patent to Create Chatbots That Imitate The Deceased; Smithsonian Magazine lists top inventions from this year’s CES;
The Michelson Institute for Intellectual Property, an initiative of the Michelson 20MM Foundation, addresses critical gaps in intellectual property education to empower the next generation of inventors and entrepreneurs. Michelson 20MM was founded thanks to the generous support of renowned spinal surgeon Dr. Gary K. Michelson and Alya Michelson. To learn more, visit 20mm.org.