Need some good reading material? Here’s a quick recap of the top IP news stories we loved diving into this month!
- “From virtual makeup to digital hamburgers, some of the biggest brands are looking to cement their Web3 status.” – Here’s Why Brands From McDonald’s to Walmart are Gobbling Up Metaverse Trademarks, Decyrpt
- “In these times of crisis, did we also learn that the world of trademarks was turned upside down? How else can you describe the fact that the world’s highest-grossing pharmaceuticals had – in essence – no trademarks? Along comes COVID, and the world’s best-selling drugs are known only by the names of manufacturers who produce them.” – The World’s Best-Selling Pharmaceuticals Don’t Need Trademarks, Forbes
- “Space age and farm age engineers have been teaming up with the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum to create a next-generation transportation crate for fine art as it travels the world.” – Georgia O’Keeffe Museum gets patent for high-tech transportation container, Santa Fe New Mexican
- “The US Copyright Office has rejected a request to let an AI copyright a work of art. Last week, a three-person board reviewed a 2019 ruling against Steven Thaler, who tried to copyright a picture on behalf of an algorithm he dubbed Creativity Machine. The board found that Thaler’s AI-created image didn’t include an element of “human authorship” — a necessary standard, it said, for protection.” – The US Copyright Office says an AI can’t copyright its art, The Verge
- “An NFT is more like a digital certificate of authenticity that proves that one owns a ‘special’ copy of a work of art. The purchaser is only buying a slab of code. ” – NFTs And Copyright: What You See Is Not What You Get, Above The Law
The Michelson Institute for Intellectual Property, an initiative of the Michelson 20MM Foundation, provides access to empowering IP education for budding inventors and entrepreneurs. Michelson 20MM was founded thanks to the generous support of renowned spinal surgeon Dr. Gary K. Michelson and Alya Michelson. To learn more, visit 20mm.org.