Need some good reading material? Here’s a quick recap of the top IP-related stories we loved diving into this month!
- “Earlier this year, 15 top U.S. universities joined forces to launch a one-stop shop where corporations and startups can discover and license patents.” – From dorm rooms to board rooms: How universities are promoting entrepreneurship, TechCrunch
- “Lowood had been inspired by Kathy Cotton, a longtime Silicon Valley recruiter-turned-archivist. She saw that no one was telling the stories of the many Black engineers and software developers she knew were important to the tech industry’s success.” – Filling the archives with stories from Black Silicon Valley, Marketplace
- “LOT Network, the nonprofit that helps businesses of all sizes and across industries defend themselves against patent trolls by creating a shared pool of patents to immunize themselves against them, today announced that TikTok parent ByteDance is joining its group.” – TikTok parent ByteDance joins patent troll protection group LOT Network, TechCrunch
- “Spotify subsidiary Gimlet Media LLC’s win against claims that its “Reply All” podcast infringes software company Reply All Corp.’s trademarks was upheld by the Second Circuit on Friday.” – Gimlet’s Win in ‘Reply All’ Podcast’s Trademark Fight Affirmed, Bloomberg Law
- “With an abundance of curated class materials uploaded to university drives, critics have flagged problems related to intellectual property rights and the repurposing of recorded lectures: Will faculty essentially automate away their own jobs by recording lectures that can be recycled year after year?” – How a Dead Professor Is Teaching a University Art History Class, Slate
The Michelson Institute for Intellectual Property, an initiative of the Michelson 20MM Foundation, addresses critical gaps in intellectual property education to empower the next generation of inventors and entrepreneurs. Michelson 20MM was founded thanks to the generous support of renowned spinal surgeon Dr. Gary K. Michelson and Alya Michelson. To learn more, visit 20mm.org.